Sunday, July 22, 2012

Indian Shabbat

Most of my posts have been about Yiddishkeit, current events or things that piss me off,
so I thought for a change of pace I'd write about food.

This past shabbos I decided to do some experimenting in Indian cooking.
I really love Indian food but the closest Kosher Indian restaurant is about an hour away.
Although I was overall happy with the results, I will want to tweak a few things here and there next time.

For an appetizer I made Samosas with a Mango Chutney.

Filling of potato, peas, garlic, ginger, fried onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
I used won ton wrappers.

Mango Chutney
Ingredients for Mango Chutney put all together and cooked down.


Being shabbos before the nine days, I had to get some meat on my menu so I picked Tandoori style chicken along with Saag Paneer and plain Basmati rice.
I found some Nan for motzei that not only was OK kosher but also Pas Yisrael.

For my chicken I used parve sour cream instead of yogurt, garam masala, cumin, ginger, garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, a little salt, and olive oil instead of Ghee.(clarified butter)


I baked the chicken in the oven because I forgot to buy charcoal.
One of those tweaks I mentioned.

For Paneer I used Extra Firm Tofu that I cut up and put in a colander and sprinkled with salt.
I than fried the Tofu in olive oil.


I pulsed together onion, garlic, cilantro, turmeric, ginger, jalapeno, cumin, and a little salt and fried it in the oil after the Tofu. To this I added the spinach and some pareve sour cream.



I used Texas grown Basmati Rice

Here is the Nan I used


Because the food was highly spiced I used Rashi Joyvin White wine for Kiddush.

If you have any critiques, comments or question please contact me. I love talking about food.

Texas Yid






2 comments: