Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day.

Even though as Jews we should honor our mothers every day, kibbud aim, we still go along with the world and do something special for our mothers on this day in May.

My mother, Zissel Esther, has been a great mom.
She and my father raised three kids to adulthood and buried one as a teenager.

Mom didn't have an easy beginning.
My grandmother came to America from Poland in 1928.
In 1932 she married Moshe Zundel, who was born in the U.S.
I've been told that because my grandmother was the"greener" and her husband the "yankee", there was some trouble in the relationship.
In 1934 my mother was born.
Six months later, Moshe died.

My grandmother, along with one of her sisters, went to work in a sweat shop in Kansas City.
She would drop my mother off at her parents at the shoe repair store where they worked and lived in a room in the back of the store.
Here my mother learned Yiddish, watched her bubbie make luchshen, pluck chickens and make gefilte fish. Here also my mother remembers her bubbie saving the tiny chicken eggs that were often found in the freshly shechted chickens, and putting them in her soup.

When mom turned six, a marriage was arranged and my grandmother packed up mom and moved to Texas to marry the man that my mother would now know as daddy.
Ephraim would be a daddy to my mother until he died when she was in her teens.

My mother has been through a lot and has put up with a lot from her kids as I guess all parents do, but I am truly grateful she didn't give me to the Troll that lived under the bridge.

Happy Mother's Day Mom.
I Love You.


Zissel Esther. Mother's Day 2012


Oh. What did I do special for my mother today?
I made her a brunch.





No comments:

Post a Comment