Monday, May 14, 2012

Political? Not.

Yesterday I had a very quick facebook "discussion" with someone I really love.

I commented on a photograph that she had liked/shared and commented on that had been posted by a "friend" of hers.

This is the photo.
I recommend looking up the pesukim for yourself in a Chumash


The photo showed a sign being carried in what I assumed was a pro same-sex marriage rally.
The sign showed what was supposed to be a quote from the book of Deuteronomy.
It stated that a man must marry a virgin for a marriage to be valid and if she wasn't a virgin the woman was to be put to death.
Part of my life as a an observant Jew is talmud Torah, the study of the five books of Moses.
I knew right away this was not even close to being an accurate quote.
After looking up the pesukim to see what it really said I made a mistake.

I commented to this person about this sign's total distortion of what the Torah says.
I then wrote what the Torah was actually dealing with, which was not even close to what the sign made you think it was dealing with.
I also said that I was surprised that she would post this without checking to see what the pesukim were actually saying.
My mistake? I should have done this privately not on the post itself.

Unfortunately this person took my criticism as being against same-sex marriage.
The result was a comment directed to me that I had been warned before about posting my political beliefs on her page.
She then either deleted the post or blocked it from my viewing

Personally, I could care less what two consenting adults do or declare to each other.
I was defending what the Torah said.
I can't sit by without commenting when the Torah is mistranslated, misquoted and used incorrectly for the self serving purposes of any group, right, left, center, up or down.

I'm truly sorry this person, who I truly love, didn't understand the point I was trying to make, but I will never be sorry for defending the Torah.


No comments:

Post a Comment